Thursday, July 29, 2010

Prayer Changes Things???

Today I felt so convicted that I haven't really been praying for our country like I should. I mean, I complain--a lot--about the state of affairs, and I throw up the occasional, "O God, please do something!" But I don't really get down to the nitty gritty of praying for our country on a daily basis. I should. You should. We all should. The fact is, we all must. After all, the direction of our country lies in our hands... or does it? I mean, do we truly believe that prayer changes things? Or do we just say that as a cliche'?

2 Chronicles 7:14 says, "If my people pray...I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land." Do you think God really meant that? Or was He just trying to pull one over on us--to rope us into thinking that He is actually in control of EVERYthing?!

I can only speak for my own convictions, not yours. But as for me, I feel a gut-piercing 'stick' right about now. God doesn't expect me to fix it all, or even to try and figure out how He should fix it all. But He does expect me to repent for the sins of our nation. WHAT?! Me repent for the whole nation?? I didn't get us into this mess! ... or did I? Maybe the fact that I have sat on the sidelines and watched in silent protest as our 'Christian' nation has become something other than Christian tells me that I am, at least in part, responsible for where "One nation under God" is today.

And so, in response to this stirring sense of urgency, I have decided to make a change. Beginning right now, I am going to do my part to see that this land of the free and home of the brave, this sweet land of liberty, this 'once upon a time' great Christian nation, doesn't destroy itself from the inside out, but returns to God in sincerity and humility, and asks for His forgiveness and direction. I can't do everything, but I can do something. What about you?

2 comments:

  1. So glad I found you here, Julie.
    I love your words.
    Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, Debbie!! I love your website. You are so creative! Makes me feel like I know you better... :-) <3

    ReplyDelete